In the year 2020, FFM focus on 2 projects in Sri Lanka – the RO water project and the Eye operation & Eye care project.
Since 2016, FFM has undertaken total of 18 Reverse Osmosis Projects in Sri Lanka.
In Sri Lanka, there is an increase in the number of persons suffering from renal, a new form of Chronic Kidney Disease, known as CKDu, has been identified. One of the preventive measures to reduce the risk of CDU is to provide Reverse Osmosis system to the villagers drinking water source.
FFM has partner with the Sri Lanka Navy to install the RO plants at the various sites.
- Walahaviddawewa, Horowpothana
- Koruwewa Mahanama Maha Vidyalaya, Polpithigama, Kurungegala
- Thirappane Maha, Vidyalaya, Anuradhapura District
- A/Tambuttegama Central Collage, Tambuttegama, Anuradhapura
- A/Mahabulakulum Maha Vidyalaya, Mahabulakulama, Anuradhapura
- A/Thammanakulum Primary School, Thammannakulm, Mediwachiya, Anuradhapura
- Sri Dharmashrama Buddhist Centre, Mahiyangananya
- Sri Rajapushparamaya, Makichchawa Morakewa, Anuradhapura Project
- Pahala Diggala Primary School, Dewahuwa, Matale, Dambulla
- Ucharitha Wardana Wedihiti Samithiya, Marakandawala, Anuradhapura
- Asiri Kanda Aranya Senasanaya, Kuchaveli, Trincomalee
- Asokaramaya, Medirigiya
- Hathareswela Vidyalaya, Saliyapura
- Dhamma Parami Aranaya Senasanaya
- Sri Bodhirukkaramaya, Dunumadalawa
- Vidyadarsha Maha Vidyalaya, Nochchiyagama
- Kasikote Gammanya, Ambanpola (Project 2020)
- Thibiriwenwa Gramaya , Kebithigollewa (Project 2020)
Clean Water project
Due to the heightening of the Covid 19 situation, the RO projects have completed. The Navy was not able to conduct the opening ceremony and hence no photographs were taken.
Project 17 – Kasikote Gammanya, Ambanpola
Project handover on
Benefits: 450 families and 450 students
Cost Sri Lanka Rupee 1,522,070 S$(13,392)
Sponsored by CH Keay and Cynthia Lim
Projct 18 – Thibiriwenwa Gramaya , Kebithigollewa
Project handover on
Cost Sri Lanka Rupee 1,522,070 S$(13,309)
Sponsored by: Jerry Lim and Family
Eye Operation & Eye Care
Since 2018 Firefly Mission has supported the Free Eye Camp by the Karuna Trust. Karuna Trust is set up by Dr Asela Abeydeera in Sept 2017 to provide cataract eye operation and eye care. They provide monthly outreach programme in rural area. Those identified with cataract are registered for surgeries at selected hospitals by the charity for free cataract operation. Each cataract operation cost around S$100 and for the year 2020, FFM sponsored S$10k.
Jul 2020 to Sept 2020 completed 144 eye operations
Firefly Mission would like to express its deep gratitude and thanks to all the people who have made this partnership project possible.
- Sis Shuyin Lim, FFM Coordinator for Sri Lanka
- Sis Low Siew Kiang, FFM Coordinator for Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy
- Karuna Trust
- All donors for Sri Lanka Projects
- Volunteers of Firefly Mission Singapore
- Other well-wishers and volunteers, too numerous to be named
For further information related to this report, please contact:
Report dated 14 Oct 2020 by Michelle Lee